Strategy and Tips
- Placement of the Town Hall is critical for achieving players’ objectives, but first it must be decided whether the objective is a high trophy ranking or rapid growth.
- The Town Hall always has the capacity to store 1,000 each of gold and elixir, which means that when you start the game you will not need a Gold or Elixir Storage to start constructing buildings.
- When farming, you should probably leave your Town Hall outside your Walls undefended, and when Trophy hunting put it in the center surrounded by defenses.
- When protecting the Town Hall, surrounded it by Walls and keep Mortars and Wizard Towers close by for better defense.
- If players are collecting Trophies they should protect their Town Hall at all costs. When the Town Hall is destroyed it is an automatic win for the attacker and a gain of one star. If players are pursuing rapid growth, large amounts of resources will be needed. In order to improve the collecting of resources, placing the Town Hall in a completely unprotected area should be considered. Placement of your Town Hall in an unprotected area affords two very important advantages:
- Anyone can walk up and destroy it. This provides a 12 hour shield, free of charge, as a result of the defeat. This tactic improves the odds of receiving a shield and allows the player to get a good night’s sleep without worry of further attack.
- People who would rather take the quick Town Hall kill instead of attacking more aggressively are probably weaker opponents. Now revenge can be taken against that player at a more advantageous time, for instance, when they have a lot of resources and defensive buildings unavailable due to upgrades.
- Town Halls have the highest hit points of any building, with exception of Walls, which means they take a long time to destroy.
- Placing your Town Hall within range of your most powerful defenses can give it the most shots to destroy attackers.
- The disadvantages of an undefended Town Hall are that Trophies can be lost and that 1,000 of both gold and elixir will be lost per attack, although for higher level players this isn’t very much at all. As players progress, both of these downsides will tend to fade away as it becomes easier to get both Trophies and Resources, however, in the early stages of the game, these downsides can seem daunting.
- It is suggested that you upgrade everything you possibly can (e.g. Troops, Buildings, etc.) before upgrading the Town Hall to the next level.
|Town Hall Level||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Level||Hitpoints||Build Cost||Build Time||Experience Gained|
Resource and Offensive Buildings Available
Upgrading your Town Hall unlocks the following number of Resource and Army Buildings; see the page for each building for details.
|TH Level||Gold Mines
& Elixir Collectors
|Dark Elixir Drills||Gold &
|Dark Elixir Storages||Dark Barracks||Barracks||Army Camps||Laboratory||Spell Factory|
Defensive Buildings Available
Upgrading your Town Hall unlocks the following number of Defensive Buildings; see the page for each building for details.
|TH Level||Cannon||Archer Tower||Wall||Mortar||Bomb||Air Def||Spring Trap||Wizard Tower||Giant Bomb||Air Bomb||Seeking Air
Resource, Army and Other Buildings Max Level By Town Hall
Upgrading your Town Hall allows the following buildings to be upgraded to these levels; see the page for each structure to learn what each upgrade brings:
|TH Level||Gold Mines &
|Dark Barracks||Barracks||Army Camp||Lab||Spell Factory||Clan Castle|
Defensive Buildings Max Available Level
Upgrading your Town Hall unlocks the following level of Defensive Buildings; see the page for each building for details.
|TH Level||Cannon||Archer Tower||Walls||Mortar||Air Defense||Wizard Tower||Hidden Tesla||X-Bow||Inferno Tower|
Town Hall and Matchmaking
There is a lot of confusion with regard to how Town Hall levels affect matchmaking. The short answer is, it doesn’t. Matchmaking is based solely on Trophies. However, the loot available to gain is affected by Town Hall level. Players get increased loot for attacking Town Halls of a higher level, and reduced loot for attacking Town Halls of a lower level. The following table describes this bonus and reduction:
|Town Hall Level Difference||Percentage of Loot Available|
|3 or more||200%|
|4 or less||5%|
It’s important when upgrading the Town Hall to consider the above table, because it may affect one’s looting considerably. It is also advisable to upgrade everything at the current level before moving to the next.
There is some speculation that the Town Hall may make a difference at sub-200 Trophy range. However, this has not been confirmed.
|Defensive Buildings||Cannon • Archer Tower • Mortar • Wizard Tower • Air Defense • Hidden Tesla • X-Bow • Inferno Tower • Walls • Traps|
|Resource Buildings||Gold Mine • Gold Storage • Elixir Collector • Elixir Storage • Dark Elixir Drill • Dark Elixir Storage • Builder’s Hut|
|Army Buildings||Army Camp • Barracks • Dark Barracks • Laboratory • Spell Factory • Barbarian King Altar • Archer Queen Altar|
|Other Buildings||Town Hall • Clan Castle • Decorations • Obstacles|